Do you ever find yourself comparing yourself to others? Viewing their success as only a way to make yourself look bad? If so, you are not alone. If so, it is time to stop comparing yourself to others. For some, the success of others equates to highlight their own failures.
If you are anything like me, you’ve done it, you’ve compared yourself to others and felt horrible after. The good news is that people out there compare themselves to you and the not-so-good news is that it is a fixed mindset we need to get out of.
Comparing ourselves is part of human nature. It’s how we grow, it’s how we strive, but sometimes, unfortunately, it’s an excuse to give up.
This is something that has to change, today!
Stop Comparing Yourself
Stuck in the Fixed Mindset
If we don’t have something to compare ourselves to, you might reason, then how will we learn to achieve and grow? When we compare ourselves to others, we have something to gauge our success and failure with and, therefore, a measure of where we can do better and achieve more.
Unfortunately, for those with a fixed mindset, this does not occur at all. There is actually a backwards way of thinking. That reverse method tells us since we are not as good as the other person, we might as well just quit. That doesn’t work in the world of intelligence, however. Not to mention, it is ineffective.
We have it in our minds that the other person as being luckier or having it easy. Another excuse is to say everything just falls on that person’s lap or, even worse, use their success to highlight some other unrelated shortcoming. It is that fixed way of thinking that does not propel us forward and keeps us from our own success. But – what if it is only a matter of re-training your brain to adopt a mindset of growth?
Adopt a Mindset of Growth
On the opposite end of the spectrum is a growth mindset. Where we give ourselves the opportunity to change and grow over time, as we learn to re-train our brain into a mindset of growth. By viewing someone else’s success as a way to strive harder, do more, and work harder, we will be re-training our brain to view this not as an excuse to stay status quo, but as a reason to thrive.
Once we choose the thought patterns that intelligence can be developed, we can most certainly train our ourselves to reach higher heights. Then, and only then will we see a radical change in our lives.
A stepping stone to success.
Once you understand that your self-image has nothing to do with failing at something and that this failure is actually a path to higher learning, you will be at ease in your own skin.
Wouldn’t that be nice to be at ease in your own skin? If you change your mind, you can re-train your brain to view failure as a stepping-stone to new successes. You will begin to understand failure as a learning tool and not as a way to define your image.
So, the next time you want to compare yourself to someone else, stop and ask yourself if their success can highlight inspiration for you. Maybe they put a tremendous amount of effort into the realization of dreams and all that hard work paid off. This could be a learning tool for you rather than something viewed as an enemy.
Other people’s success should be a way and a means for you to learn, grow, and, most importantly, be inspired. This is just one more way to empower your entrepreneurial mind.
Now I’d love to hear from you. Where will you find motivation for growth and be inspired where you did not see it before? Join us inside the Studio’s Study Hall and let us know what your passion is or something you don’t like to do – but love when it is done! The group is a community of supportive women, where you will find business-focused training and support for female entrepreneurs.
It is time to stop comparing yourself to others.
I just started reading The ONE Thing, by Gary Keller and I am learning that it is a must read for every entrepreneur. I haven’t finished reading the book, yet, but I wanted to share something that has already changed my perspective.
In the book, it states:
“The problem is we tend to act on what we believe even when what we believe isn’t anything we should”.
We all have beliefs that just aren’t true, but we truly believe them to be. Yet; there are six very specific ones, stated in this book, that truly hold us back from our success. We tell ourselves these lies so often to make decisions, that they eventually become our truth.
Once you learn that the above “truths” are in fact lies, you can focus on the truth and start moving toward your success. Which according to Gary Keller it comes down to:
“being appropriate in the moments of your life. If you can honestly say, “This is where I’m meant to be right now, doing exactly what I’m doing,” then all the amazing possibilities for your life become possible.”
“You Are One Decision Away from a Completely Different Life”
― Mel Robbins
I love Mel’s straight to the point, no-nonsense style. Decide on what you want and go get it. This TedTalk is 21 minutes of straightforward advice on changing your life!
[Tweet “”You have life-changing ideas for a reason!” Mel Robbins”]
Now, I want to hear from you!
Tell us, in the comments below or in the Facebook group, what is it you want and how do you plan on going out and getting it?
Did you hear? Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are engaged! (Of course, you did. Unless you live under a rock or have successfully managed to avoid any and ALL forms of media, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TV, radio, newspapers, or haven’t talked to another human in the last week.)
Before it was announced that she would be the worlds newest member of the Royal family, Meghan Markle was already an inspiration to women everywhere.
With America soon being able to lay claim to its very own member of the British royal family, it’s only natural that people are trying to absorb in as much information about Miss Markle’s life as possible. She is bound to be one of the most Googled women in the past year, however; I want to focus on one particular moment from her past that is making the rounds on social media. Her speech at U.N. Women’s 2015 conference.
This simple 9-10 minute speech and her story of how her actions made such an impact are truly inspirational.
I encourage you to watch this over and over again, I have, and use her words as inspiration for you to make an impact. For you to follow your gut, and be the change you wish to see in the world.
Oh, and I have to add, OMG she is marrying a real-life Prince! Who says you can’t be a feminist and still have your very own Prince Charming?
Meghan Markle at UN Women
Looking to surround yourself with more inspirational women?
Why not join us inside the Study Hall?
Accountability. Community. Support.
Become a member for only $7/month!
Benefits of the Study Hall Facebook Group:
- Accountability Calls – 30 minute “working” room sessions. You can pick and choose which ones you want to join, just a few or all! (total value of $120/month) (These are NOT social or coaching sessions – we hop on, we focus on our business, we work together-quietly.)
- Ask Me Anything Sessions – Monthly 1-hour AMA group session, inside a Library Room, that you can ask Joelene anything you want. During AMA sessions, I will do my best to answer all questions, but research may be needed and patience is appreciated! (Group coaching value $150/ month)
- A goal-setting session on the last Friday of each month to review successes and declare intentions for the next month. There is also an accountability goal-setting thread. (Group coaching value $150/ month)
- Access to the Studio Library Resources
This group is capped to allow for intimacy, networking and to ensure member success.
Starting Your Own Business
If you have a direct sales or network marketing business, chances are parties are the lifeblood of your business. One of the most important aspects of to having a successful party is to work with your Hostess. Setting your Hostess up for success is just as important to your business as your sales. Effective hostess coaching is how you are able to do this.
It all starts with a plan, who knew “party planner’ was part of the job description of Entrepreneur Goddess?
Basically, when it comes to having a successful party, it will come down to a strong strategic plan, communication and truly partnering with your host or Hostess. You will be able to increase your party sales, and bookings, by working with them on several different levels. Here are a few things to remember when working with your host or Hostess.
Remember, if they have a successful party – you will have a successful party!
1. Appreciate your Hostess!
• Send your Hostess a handwritten thank you and let her know she’s appreciated. Build a solid foundation of trust and confidence by sharing that you’ll be there to guide her along the way. Include a link or email her a “save the date” graphic (easy to create in Canva) that she can easily send to her guests.
• Mail a Hostess packet with a cover letter, catalogue and order forms. Be sure to place post-it tabs in the catalogue on the Hostess program page and special products. Also, put a few extra post-it tabs in the package, so the Hostess can tab her favourite pages and products.
2. Be A Good Listener:
• Call your Hostess and set up a “Wish List, time it so you call soon after her packet arrives. Write down everything on her list and create an action plan to help her get it all. The plan should include pre-party orders and a pre-arranged booking.
• Discuss any concerns that your Hostess might have. Brainstorm ideas on how to get outside orders, create e-vite reminders for friends and family, not on Facebook, and possibly teaming up with a friend to double-host.
3. Set High Expectations:
• We’ve all heard, “Aim for the moon and you’ll fall among the stars.” So, aim high. Add a Hostess tip and tricks checklist in your hostess packet.
• Don’t settle. Challenge your Hostess to beat your highest or last party. Be sure to recognize her efforts on the event page, using fun graphics, emojis and stickers to build her confidence.
4. Create a strategy:
• If it is an online Facebook event, advise your Hostess to only invite FB friends that she knows well enough that she’d invite them to a home party. That will help keep both you and her in a spam-free zone.
• Encourage rules of engagement: Personal phone calls or send hand-written invitations to the party. Encourage social media engagement by having your Hostess comment on all posts on the event page put up by you and to post some herself. She could tag friends who shop and share her own pics of her fave products.
• Make sure your Hostess builds excitement for her own party: review your “day of party” game plan prior to the event, which should include personal reminders to everyone who is attending, a “party crashers welcome” post on her personal page and an “I’m so excited” post on the event page a few hours before party time.
5. Use your phone:
• Remember that your phone was created to be used as a… phone. Personal phone calls with your Hostess could be the most innovative risk you take and encourage her to do the same with her guests.
Women who are changing the world
There is no better way to start my Inspiring Greatness: Women who are changing the world series, then with the new trailer for Firsts, TIME’s new video series on 46 groundbreaking women.
For the past year I have been planning and preparing for the launch of The Virtual Studio, and the Path to Success programs, and to be honest, a good number of the women in this series have been true inspirations for me on my this journey.
I don’t think women need to do anything other than what they are doing right now, and that’s moving forward.
The launching of this project could not have come at a more perfect time in my life. I do hope that these women, and many many more, can inspire and motivate you on your journey.
Take a moment and be inspired, by something as simple as the trailer for the project! I hope to post more on this project as I continue to watch the videos.
Head to the Time Magainze website to learn more about the project!
TIME Firsts: Women Who Are Changing The World